Hair loss can be a distressing experience, affecting both men and women of all ages. If you're in St. Louis and seeking a solution for hair thinning or balding, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy may be the answer you've been looking for. PRP has gained popularity as a non-surgical and natural approach to hair restoration. In this guide, we will delve into the specifics of PRP, exploring its mechanism of action, efficacy, recovery process, and more. At Mid-County Dermatology, our team of experts specializes in PRP for hair loss and is dedicated to helping you regain confidence in your appearance.
What is platelet-rich plasma (PRP)?
PRP therapy harnesses the power of your body's own regenerative abilities to stimulate hair growth. Platelet-rich plasma is a component of your blood that contains growth factors and other bioactive substances crucial for tissue repair and regeneration. These growth factors can trigger cell proliferation and promote the healing process in the targeted area, making it an ideal solution for hair loss.
How is PRP treatment performed?
PRP starts with a small amount of blood drawn from your arm, similar to a routine blood test. The blood sample is then processed in a centrifuge, separating the platelet-rich plasma from other components. Once the concentrated PRP is obtained, it is injected into the scalp using a fine needle. Local anesthesia is applied to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
Who can benefit from PRP Injections?
PRP injections offer a versatile solution for various individuals experiencing hair loss in St. Louis. Both men and women can benefit from this innovative treatment. PRP therapy has shown promising results in addressing androgenic alopecia, commonly known as male or female pattern baldness. It is suitable for individuals with mild to moderate hair loss and can be effective across a broad age range, from young adults to seniors.
Additionally, PRP injections can be beneficial for individuals experiencing hair loss due to high-stress levels or recent hair loss. It is important to note that PRP therapy is most effective when there is still some hair follicle functionality present. While PRP can thicken and strengthen existing hair, it is NOT effective for individuals with complete baldness.
How does PRP work?
PRP therapy works by utilizing the growth factors present in platelet-rich plasma to stimulate hair regrowth and slow down further hair loss. The concentrated PRP, when injected into the scalp, activates inactive sleepy hair follicles and promotes the proliferation of hair cells. This process triggers the natural hair growth cycle, leading to thicker, healthier hair.
Research has shown that PRP therapy not only stimulates hair growth but also improves the overall health of the scalp. The growth factors in PRP promote blood circulation, enhance collagen production, and reduce inflammation, creating a favorable environment for hair follicles to grow.
Our St. Louis PRP Treatment Process
If you're considering PRP therapy for hair restoration in St. Louis, it is essential to understand the treatment process and what to expect.
1. Consultation: Your journey begins with a consultation with our hair restoration specialists at Mid-County Dermatology. During this consultation, your medical history, hair loss patterns, and goals will be assessed to determine if you would respond to PRP treatment. If you are a candidate, we will schedule a separate visit for PRP to be performed. If you know you want the treatment that day (and are a candidate), please let our scheduling team know when you make your consultation appointment.
2. Blood Collection: Once you decide to proceed with PRP therapy, a small amount of blood will be drawn from your arm. This blood sample will be processed to extract the platelet-rich plasma.
3. Plasma Separation: The blood sample is placed in a centrifuge, where it undergoes rapid spinning. This process separates the platelet-rich plasma from other blood components, creating a concentrated solution.
4. Local Anesthesia: Before the PRP injections, a local anesthetic (injectable lidocaine) will be applied to your scalp to ensure a comfortable experience.
5. PRP Injections: Using a small, fine needle, the concentrated PRP is carefully injected into the targeted areas of your scalp. We use a vibratory device for additional comfort during the procedure. The number of injections and the precise placement will depend on your unique needs and the extent of your hair loss.
6. Post-Treatment Care: Following the PRP injections, you will receive post-treatment instructions from our dermatology team. It is important to follow these guidelines to optimize the results and ensure a smooth recovery process.
What is the downtime for PRP?
One of the advantages of PRP therapy for hair restoration is its minimal downtime. Most individuals go immediately back to work and can resume their regular activities after the procedure.
What are the side effects of PRP?
After PRP, it is common to experience mild scalp tenderness or redness, which typically subsides within a few days. Some patients can also experience minimal swelling of the frontal scalp and forehead which also dissipates quickly.
How quickly can you see results from PRP?
It is important to understand that PRP therapy for hair restoration is not a quick fix. Results are gradual and typically become noticeable after a 2-4 months. The growth and improvement in hair texture continue to progress, with optimal results often seen around six months post-treatment.
How often should PRP be done?
To achieve and maintain the best outcome, a series of 3 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart is recommended. The frequency of ongoing treatments is determined by our dermatology team, but typically one session every 4-6 months is suggested to maintain benefit.
Is PRP therapy effective for everyone?
While PRP therapy has shown promising results for many individuals, it is important to note that individual responses may vary. Factors such as underlying medical conditions, hormonal imbalances, or genetic predispositions can influence the effectiveness of PRP therapy. During your consultation at Mid-County Dermatology, our specialists will evaluate your unique circumstances and provide personalized recommendations based on your specific needs.
How much does PRP cost?
At Mid-County Dermatology, each PRP session costs $650. Some sessions may cost more if micro-needling or certain additives are used.
PRP in St. Louis, MO
At Mid-County Dermatology in St. Louis, MO, we are proud to offer PRP therapy as a safe and effective solution for hair restoration. Our team of experienced dermatologists specializes in hair loss treatments and is dedicated to helping you achieve your hair restoration goals. We combine the latest advancements in PRP therapy with our expertise to provide optimal patient results.
If you're ready to take the next step in your hair restoration journey, contact Mid-County Dermatology today at 314-994-0200 to schedule a consultation. Let us help you regain confidence in your appearance with PRP treatment.